Saturday, March 13, 2010

Consult #2 with Dr. Price on Thur, March 11, 2010

We now have all the results back. Connie didn't carry the cancer gene and the calcifications tested negative for cancer. We got this news on Tue, March 9, 2010, and it was a good day! Dr. Price told Connie that after taking the tumor and the calcifications on the left side, she would be in the gray area of saving a deformed breast, or having a mastectomy. With the mastectomy, there would be no fear of a re-occurance of cancer. Connie made the tough decision to go with a mastectomy on one side, and was able to do a small lumpectomy for the calcifications on the other side. A surgery date was set up for Tue, March 16th. A phone call will be made indicating at what time she could go in. At a minimum of 2 hours before her surgery, she will have to have a dye injected so the surgeons can follow it to her lymph nodes under her arm. They will harvest the first two that they come to and check them for cancer during surgery. If they show cancer, then the doctor will have to assume the cancer has spread to other places in the body. He will end up taking more nodes out, and there's a good chance that chemo will be probable.

1 comment:

  1. You are in our prayers! You will be surrounded by friends and family who love and support you. Let me know what I can do....honestly...Alofa, 3 Olanders